healing bone broth
cooking time: 4hrs
this recipe is free from gluten, grains, dairy and sugar.
1.5kg beef bones (knuckles, marrow bones) or bony chicken parts (such as carcass, neck, wings, feet, back)
4L filtered cold water
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 large brown onion, chopped
1 leek, white part only cleaned, largely chopped
1/2 head garlic, unpeeled, sliced in half lengthways
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 bay leaves
5 whole black peppercorns
1/2 bunch fresh parsley
extra virgin olive oil
optional additional herbs:
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1. rinse bones & place in an extra-large pot with 4L cold water & vinegar. (water should cover ingredients by 2cm). allow standing for 30 mins.
2. if using chicken bones add vegetables to pot.
3. if using beef bones, pre-heat oven to 200°C. brown bones, leek, onion, garlic, carrot and celery in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes. turn halfway. add bones and vegetables back to the pot of water.
4. add bay leaves and peppercorns and bring to a boil.
5. reduce heat to a low simmer. skim off any scum that rises to the surface. cook covered for min 12 (or more) hours.
6. in the final 15- 20 minutes add fresh herbs.
7. skim the surface for any impurities and pass the stock through a fine sieve/ cheesecloth.
8. discard bones, vegetables and herbs.
9. allow to quickly cool & refrigerate overnight. skim off solidified fat that has risen to the surface (optional). you should be left with a gelatinous bone broth when cold.
enjoy as a mug of healing bone broth or add to recipes where you would use stock/ liquid
you can also cook in a slow cooker. once the broth has been brought to a high simmer, transfer to slow cooker on low 12 hours or more