honey, orange & mustard glazed ham
prep time: 15min
cooking time: 1.5hr
this recipe is free from gluten, dairy and sugar.
nitrate-free, pasture-raised or organic ham on the bone
2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup honey
3 tbsp seeded mustard
zest of 1 orange, finely grated
approx. 30 cloves
1. to a saucepan add orange juice, honey, mustard and orange zest, whisk to combine. simmer over medium heat until begins to slightly thicken. set aside to cool. pre-heat oven to 180ºC.
2. use a sharp knife to score the skin around ham hock. use fingers to peel back the skin around the ham leaving the fat intact.
3. use a sharp knife to score through the fat in a criss-cross pattern (be careful not to cut through the meat).
4. brush ham with a generous amount of glaze.
5. pierce a clove into each diamond.
6. place ham in a roasting pan and cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until it starts to colour.
7. remove from oven and brush again with remaining glaze and put back into the oven for another 15-20 minutes or until the top of the ham has caramelised. (repeat until caramelised).