maple & pomegranate glazed ham
prep time: 25min
cooking time: 1 hr
this recipe is free from gluten, dairy and sugar.
4kg (half) or 8kg (whole) nitrate-free, sugar-free leg of ham-on-the-bone (rind on)
2 cups pomegranate juice
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tbsp mustard
zest of 1 orange, finely grated
approx 30 cloves
1. to a saucepan add pomegranate juice, maple syrup, mustard and orange zest. whisk to combine. simmer over medium heat until it begins to thicken, stirring regularly. set aside to cool.
2. use a sharp knife to score the skin around the ham hock.
3. use fingers to peel back the skin from around the ham leaving the fat in-tact.
4. use a sharp knife to score through the fat in a criss-cross pattern (be careful not to cut through to the meat).
5. brush ham with a generous amount of glaze.
6. push a clove into each diamond.
7. place ham in a roasting pan and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until it starts to colour.
8. remove from oven and brush with additional glaze and put back into the oven for another 20 minutes. repeat with remaining glaze until the top of the ham has caramelised
• take out ham from refrigerator up to an hour before prepping. this will make it easier to remove the skin from ham.
• if time permits you can glaze the ham every 10-15 minutes for extra layers that will enhance the flavour and caramelisation.
• watch the base of your baking tray doesn’t start to burn from the glaze. if so add a touch of water to the pan.