mexican beef brisket
prep time: 10min
cooking time: 10 hrs
2 cups broth or stock
2kg certified organic beef brisket
3 tbs mexican spice mix
mexican spice mix
mix all dry ingredients in an airtight jar, can be stored for up to 6 months)
4 tsp chilli powder (halve this for a mild mix)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp sweet paprika
6 tsp ground cumin
4 tsp sea salt
4 tsp ground black pepper
charred corn salsa
2 cobs corn, corn removed from cob
1 cucumber, finely diced
juice 1/2 lime
1 small capsicum, finely diced
1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
good pinch salt
1. preheat your oven to 120C˚.
2. rub the brisket with the spice blend then add to a crockpot or slow cooker (you may need to chop the brisket into smaller chunks depending on the size of your crockpot).
3. add the broth and cook covered for 9 hrs before removing and shredding with 2 forks. if it doesn’t shred easily return to the oven for a further 1-2 hrs.
4. remove lid and cook for a further hour to reduce the liquid. season with extra salt before serving if required. if using a slow cooker cook on low for 8-12 hrs until meat shreds apart easily.
5. serve with charred corn salsa, guacamole and corn tortillas or roasted sweet potato boats
recipe by wellness coach Shan Cooper from My Food Religion