organic beef ragu pasta
prep time: 5min
cooking time: 2.5 hrs
1.2kg beef chuck, cut into 4 equal pieces
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (can use garlic and onion infused oil for an extra punch)
1 brown onion, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
1 cup celery, diced
800g crushed tin tomatoes
50g tomato paste
1 tbsp beef bone broth powder
1 cup red wine
1 ½ cups water
3 sprigs thyme
3 bay leaves
400g gluten free pasta (or roasted potato
for a grain free option)
½ cup fresh parsley, to garnish
1. cube your meat into tennis ball size pieces ensuring that they are all the same size.
2. heat 1 tbsp of oil over a high heat in a heavy based pot then add the beef and sear for 3-4 minutes per side until very browned.
3. remove from the pot and sit to the side and add the remaining olive oil to the pot and heat
4. add in the onion and cook for 3 minutes until soft
5. add the carrot and celery and cook for a further 5 minutes until fragrant and soft
6. add the tomatoes, tomato paste, bone broth, red wine, water, thyme and bay leaves, stir through until well combined.
7. add the beef back in as well as any residue on the plate and bring the pot to an intense simmer before reducing down to a low heat, adding the lid and letting cook for 2 hours.
8. remove the beef and shred with two forks then place the beef back into the pot and bring it up to a simmer to reduce the sauce. the meat will become even tender during this time. season with salt and pepper to your liking.
9. cook the pasta as directed on the packet when the pasta is almost cooked, add the pasta and 4 heaped servings of the sauce to another pan with ¾ cup pasta water and mix until well combined. leave to simmer until the sauce reduces slightly more
11. immediately serve hot and garnish with parsley
recipe by Katie Martin