prep time: 10min
cooking time: 20mins
this recipe is free from gluten.
150g golden shallots or onion, diced
500g chicken livers
2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
3/4 cup brandy or madeira
1.5 tsp salt
1. this can be made as a 1/2 batch but the pâté freezes so well i’d suggest doing the full batch and freezing it in individual jars.
2. in large frying pan with a little butter add the shallots, garlic and thyme and cook over a medium heat until the shallots are translucent. add the brandy and allow to simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t burn.
3. remove the shallots mix and pop it into your food processor.
4. reheat your same frying pan with a little olive oil or more butter over a med heat and seal your chicken livers on both sides so they are about 3/4 cooked (do them in batches so you don’t over-crowd your pan). don’t overcook them as they will give a grainy texture. remove from frying pan and add to food processor with butter and salt.
5. blend well until smooth then while the food processor is still going add the eggs one at a time. blend until completely smooth.
6. pour into jars, allow to cool to room temperature and top with either a little more melted butter or some olive oil to act as a seal then pop into the fridge or freezer.
recipe by @myfoodreligion