prep time: 10min
cooking time: 20mins
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small brown onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 small carrot, finely grated
1 small zucchini, grated
1tbsp dried oregano
500g organic beef mince
150g organic beef liver or chicken liver
400g crushed tomatoes
250ml bone broth
Salt and pepper
fresh oregano or parsley to serve
1. in a large, deep frying pan heat extra virgin olive oil with onion and garlic. sauté until fragrant.
2. finely chop liver* to a minced texture. add chopped beef liver to the pan and cook until browned.
3. add the beef mince and cook through. use a spatula to break up the mince. use a spoon to discard any excess fat from cooking.
4. add tomato paste, carrot, zucchini and oregano. sauté until soft veggies are soft.
5. add crushed tomatoes, passata and broth. bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. cover and cook for 30-40 minutes. adjust seasoning to liking.
6. serve with your favourite spaghetti or vegetable noodles such as zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.
7. garnish with fresh herbs.
* alternatively you can pre-freeze liver and grate instead of chopping
recipe by nutritionist Casey-Lee Lyons from Live Love Nourish.