the perfect roast chicken
prep time: 15min
cooking time: 1hr
this recipe is free from gluten, dairy and sugar.
1 whole large chicken
4 sprigs fresh rosemary or thyme
1 whole lemon
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Pinch pink salt
4-6 cups chopped root vegetables of choice
1. preheat oven to 180ºC.
2. place herbs, ½ lemon (juice + juiced half) inside the cavity.
3. massage chicken with 2 tbsp olive oil and salt.
4. place chicken on a roasting tray with a rack.
5. cover the breast with foil. roast for 40 mins.
6. add vegetables, tossed in olive oil, to a separate roasting tray and place in oven.
7. after 40 mins, remove foil from the breast.
8. re-oil chicken with remaining olive oil & squeeze over remaining lemon juice.
9. cover legs with foil, leaving breast exposed. bake in the oven for a further 20 mins.
10. remove from oven, cover and rest (upside down, breast on bottom) for 25 mins.
11. when ready to serve, pour any juices back over the chicken.
12. serve with roasted vegetables.