cooking time: 35-40 minutes prep time: 15-20 minutes
this recipe is free from gluten, dairy and sugar.
2 kg organic chicken
1 large lemon
¼ cup garlic-infused extra virgin olive oil (regular oil will do)
¼ cup dried oregano
2 tsp salt
1 small chilli, finely diced (optional) Salad:
1 bag/6 cups of lettuce of choice
1 navel orange, sliced
¼ cup slivered almonds
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp vinegar of choice
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1. position the chicken breast side down on a clean cutting board with the legs facing you.
2. using kitchen shears or a sharp knife, start at the tail end, cutting along one side of the backbone. repeat on the other side to completely remove it. the backbone should now be completely separated from the chicken.
3. flip the chicken over so the breast side is facing up. Press down firmly on the breastbone with the palms of your hands to flatten the chicken. You may hear a slight cracking – this is normal.
4. preheat the oven to 190 degrees fan-forced and place the chicken flat on a lined baking tray.
5. in a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, oregano, chilli, the zest, and juice of half the lemon, and salt. mix together and pour over the chicken.
6. slice the other half of the lemon and lay it over the top.
7. optional: cover in gladwrap and leave to marinate for 30-60 minutes in the fridge.
8. place in the oven and cook for 35-40 minutes until crispy on top. check the legs to ensure the chicken is cooked through.
9. in the meantime, construct your salad. lay your lettuce on a serving platter. layer the orange and almonds over the top. wait until the chicken has finished cooking to dress the salad.
10. once cooked, remove the chicken from the oven and transfer it to a serving platter. dress the salad and serve immediately.
garnish with fresh parsley.
recipe by @katiemmartin_